To put it simply, choosing the right foundation color isn’t easy. There are hundreds of shades of foundation to choose from, and each one looks different on every individual person’s skin tone. With so many options available, it can be tough to determine which shade will be most complementary to your complexion.
To help you make the right decision about which foundation to buy, we’ve put together this makeup foundation guide on how to always select the right tone for your skin type and undertone so that you’ll look more beautiful than ever before!
What Is Foundation?
Foundation is one of the most important makeup products you should have in your makeup bag. It covers up imperfections while making your skin look smooth and flawless. There are a variety of foundations available, for example, liquid, powder, stick, or mousse foundation.
However, if you’re not aware of what type is perfect for you, here’s a little guide to help you out! Many people switch back and forth between foundations until they find one that perfectly matches their tone and matches their preferences regarding consistency and finish.
Why Should You Use Foundation?
Foundation is one of the best and most versatile makeup products available. Your foundation can cover up, enhance, and change your skin’s tone so that you’re left with a flawless finish. However, all of these functions work only if you use the right color. If you aren’t happy with your current foundation but don’t know which tone would work best on your skin, here are some guidelines to help guide you:
1) The first step is finding out what undertone or shade your skin has. For example, do you look more pinkish or yellowish?
2) Next, find out whether your skin looks more pinkish in the winter and yellowish in the summer.
3) Finally, assess whether your skin is pale (with a pink tint), medium (neither too light nor dark), or dark (with a red tint).
Here are examples of various undertones paired with their corresponding shades:
Pale- Porcelain Fair
Medium- Creamy Natural Beige
Dark- Rich Golden Beige
Which Foundation Is Best For Me?
So many people just pick their foundation out at the store without looking at what their skin tone is, but this is a big mistake. If you choose a color of foundation that doesn’t match your skin tone, it will not only look weird when it’s on. But it could also make you look blotchy and hide any natural glow that your skin has.
This will give you a lifeless look and will make your imperfections more noticeable as well. So how do you get to know which color of foundation to get for yourself? Your skin tone is determined by your genetics and what color it turns when you have a tan.
Typically, there are three different types of tones. Cool, warm or neutral. Cool-toned skin has pinkish hues, while warm-toned skin is yellow undertones and a neutral tone has a grey undertone. Always make sure it matches your skin tone exactly or else it can look orange and obvious on your face. This goes for all types of foundations including liquid foundations, powder foundations, mousse foundations, etc.
Where Should You Start Applying Foundation On Your Face?
After skin care, before foundation, you’ll want to make sure your skin is completely hydrated and oil-free. Use a toner before moisturizing after cleansing. Also, if you use the serum at night or find yourself using retinol for a chemical exfoliate in your skincare routine. Then be sure that you are thoroughly cleansing that off before applying foundation in the morning.
Start with a primer. A good base will keep your makeup on all day and give it a more natural finish. Primers work as an extra layer of moisture on your skin while also filling in any pores or fine lines. Apply it around the entire perimeter of your face as well as down along the jawline and neck to prevent any creasing later on during application.
Tips: Always go for one shade lighter than what you think will match perfectly. If unsure about what color to go with, choose one that’s two shades lighter than what you think would match best.
Can Foundation Be Used As a Concealer?
Using Makeup Foundation as a concealer is tricky, but not impossible. You can also try using other types of makeup as an alternative to both conceal and cover. Facial powders are another option for concealing imperfections, especially if you need something more powerful than what’s available in a typical compact. Creams work too, but be careful with these because they may make your skin oily if applied incorrectly.
Common Mistakes While Buying A Makeup Foundation
- Not using your skin tone in guiding your foundation choice – In general, you’ll want a foundation that’s one or two shades lighter than your natural skin tone. For example, if you have light-medium skin tones, try a foundation in the range of ivory or pink beige. If you have dark skin tones, try a color in tan and deeper.
- However, there are still other aspects of your face and body shape that will help dictate which shade is right for you. It’s not enough to just rely on the general guideline of lighter shades being better suited for lighter complexions and darker shades working better on darker complexions. Instead, it’s best to take into account these other factors:
- Age – Younger people generally look better with lighter foundations as they tend to minimize pores. Oily skin has fewer issues with darker shades because it blends in more easily with its natural oils.
- Sun exposure and environment – Dryer climates need more moisture while humid climates require less moisturizing foundations.
- Pores and acne scars – Oily skins tend to overcompensate by producing excess oil so they don’t need as much coverage while dry skins can use more coverage.
Best Foundations of All Time
Choosing the right Makeup Foundation can seem overwhelming at first, but with a little knowledge and understanding of your skin tone, you will never have a hard time finding just the right color again.
Best Foundation For Oily Skin:
Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation gives Up to 16 hours of wear it provides a natural matte finish look all day long. Amazonian clay provides buildable coverage while vitamins C and E provide anti-aging benefits.
Skinny Applicator – No more thick makeup brush streaks -a skinny brush makes it easy to blend every last bit of product. It keeps your skin matte all day.
Best Oil-Free Foundation:
Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte; Poreless FoundationisSmooth And Silky – Get an effortlessly matte finish in seconds. Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation feels comfortable on the skin and leaves a smooth, silky finish all day. Flawless And Clear – Mix this foundation well with other products for flawless coverage on various skin tones. Get a fresh, dewy matte look without adding texture or shine
Best Foundation For Mature Skin:
Makeup For Ever Reboot FoundationwithMoisturizing Effect – Replenishes dry skin’s moisture and elasticity, leaving it looking radiant. Instant Correction – Instantly camouflages skin problems and imperfections like wrinkles, dark spots, redness, pores, uneven skin tone, blemishes, and shadows. 24-Hour Wear – Seamless coverage all day long.
Read More: How To Create The Perfect Makeup Kit For Yourself